Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    Bush welcomes Pound Marine home from Iraq
    Published 03/20/2007 By STEPHEN IGO


    POUND - Of all the people to personally welcome him home from his second tour in Iraq, Marine Staff Sgt. Michael Elkins did not expect his commander in chief to be one of them.

    The native of Pound in Wise County, however, fielded a personal call Monday from President Bush at Elkins' stateside duty station in Camp Lejeune, N.C.

    "Why me? I have no idea," Elkins, a Class of 2000 Pound High School graduate, said Tuesday. "My platoon commander - our Camp Lejeune public affairs officer, actually - asked for the name of two Marines, and (the platoon commander) gave him my name and the name of a fellow Marine. We both got calls from the president. I got my call from the president at 4:30 p.m."

    While President Bush didn't invite the leatherneck up for a beer and a wild night in the West Wing, it was a friendly chat, Elkins said.

    "He thanked me for my services. He asked me if I was seeing a significant change from my last deployment, and I told him to stay the course. We were making significant progress in my opinion and in the opinion of my fellow Marines," Elkins said.

    "That was pretty much it, really. It was, you know, pretty exciting. I talk to higher-ranking officers all the time in the unit I'm in, doing briefings with them and all that. But it's pretty neat to talk to my actual commander in chief. It was an honor."

    Elkins is the son of Mike and Karen Elkins of Pound. His father is a coal miner, and his mother works at a branch of BB&T Bank in Wise. He has a sister, Laura Beth Elkins, currently studying nursing at Mountain Empire Community College in Big Stone Gap.

    His wife, Whitney Elkins, is a fifth-grade language arts teacher at L.F. Addington Middle School in Wise. Elkins said his wife was en route to Wise County from North Carolina on Tuesday after they enjoyed a whirlwind reunion following his return from Iraq on March 15.

    Elkins' first tour in Iraq was from February through September 2005. This time around his unit, Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 10th Marines, was attached to CLB-1 (combat logistics battalion) at the Al Asad Base in Iraq's Al Anbar Province. He took issue with the war protesters here in the United States.

    "I've seen some significant changes since my (first) time I was over there. When you drive down the road there's a lot of people waving and smiling. And, of course, more than some who don't want you there at all, I'm sure," he said.

    "But really, there are good things going on over there. You just don't see it on the news here at home. They just show the bad stuff. I don't even watch the TV news, it's so one-sided. Everybody got upset because there were no weapons of mass destruction or this or that or whatever. But those people needed help, and it needed to be done, I think. There's no overnight fixes for Iraq. They're starting from scratch pretty much, and we're doing all we can to help them along. The troop morale is really high. Several Marines wanted to extend (their tours of duty in Iraq), which speaks a lot to the morale over there."

    Elkins said if not for his favorite teacher, he might still be there, too. The Marine Corps motto, semper fidelis, apparently extends to all facets of the globe and anchor, especially when the anchor of his world lives and works in Wise County.

    "If I wasn't married, I probably would have (extended)," he said. "Otherwise, just tell everybody back home I appreciated their thoughts and prayers while I was over there. That's pretty much it. Semper fi and oorah!"


    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  2. #2
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    Andy is a good friend of mine and my family and I are very glad to see him home and to know that this will be his last tour in Iraq.

    Thanks to Andy for serving our country. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/getsmile.tmp007816300.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    that is absolutely a facinating story. i relish on inspiring and TRUTHFUL stories about Iraq. the young man said it best when speaking of the US's one sided media. I don't know you mr. elkins, but God bless you and thank you for your service while protecting my freedom to type on a high school sports forum.
    [img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    I wonder why stories such as that do not get more press coverage? I mean thats truly what it's all about. It doesn't get any more American than having a small town boy going overseas fighting for his country. I would much rather hear his opinions and stories and those of his military brothers (even if they were the opposite of what they are or the opposite of what I want to hear), than some nut who sits behind and a desk and uses his pen to make a living manipulating the American people.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2003
    Posts
    2,533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    Try hearing people who accuse Bush of being behind 9/11 lol.

    Anyway, I wish it were a bit like WW2's media. The media was not allowed to show anything negative on the war. Now, all they do is show biased and everything negative of the war.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    The media is entitled to show whatever they want. My whole point is that you would think that the American people would demand the first hand knowledge, opinions and perspectives of our troops (negative or positive) rather than some journalist or writer manipulating the information or just giving their personal opinion on the situation.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  7. #7
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    I agree greencrest, I have heard several different sides to the war from soldiers who have actually been over there 1, 2, and some have been on their 3rd tour. I have heard many different opinions from them good and bad. Like you said, I would much rather hear it from their voices than from TV.

    Some of them have said it is a lost cause, some have said it could take up to 6-8 more years to acheive success, and some have said things are going just fine.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Great article in K-Times on Pound soldier

    Im not sure why the media doesn't get more of these stories and opinions from troops. I mean it cannot be hard at all to find these veterans. I think it points to the fact that the majority of the media have hidden agendas concerning the war and politics and care nothing about giving the other side of a story.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •